Dr. Marie Meteer is an independent consultant with deep technical expertise in speech recognition, natural language processing, analysis of unstructured data, and search, which she applies to helping clients solve problems and make the most of their information and technology. Dr. Meteer teaches graduate courses in the Brandeis University Computational Linguistics Master's Program, including as Speech Recognition, Natural Language Processing (NLP) Systems in the Medical Domain.
- Latest news:
- MobilVoice 2012 presentation on More data or more knowledge: How to move speech recognition forward?
- Brandeis students once again get AVIOS awards!
- MedLingMap, created in my graduate seminar in NLP in the Medical Domain,brings together references linked by multiple facets
- Consulting Offerings
- Over 25 years of experience in research, applications and product development in speech, NLP, and search
- Broad knowledge of speech and natural language technologies in multiple industries, including who the current competitors are, their history, and which technologies are best used in those industries
- Indepth knowledge of the algorithms and theories behind the speech and NLP techonology
- Ability not just to understand complex technology, but to teach it to others at a wide range of levels and perspectives, from students to managers and CEOs
- Proven track record in business and technology decision making and product management
- Recent engagements include BBN Avoke, CallMiner, Ditech Networks, General Catalyst, NavCanada, RAMP Holdings, Speech Morphing, Transcend, UFA, Vlingo
Dr. Meteer's consulting practice practice includes:
- Expert counsel and evaluation of market, business, and technology decisions related to speech and natural language domains
- Partnering with companies through market penetration and/or technology transition of speech/NLP-related technology/products.
- Reporting and/or seminars related to speech and language technology and applications in the marketplace
All engagements are developed with the client and tailored to specific needs.
|Offerings||Description||Examples from previous engagements|
|Market/ Technology Evaluations||Ranging from evaluations of a company prior to an investment decision to evaluation of a product's performance on specific data.||Speech recognition performance, information extraction and topic detection, and speech analytics|
|Market/ Technology Research||Targeted at collecting and analyzing literature on a paritucular technology or set of technologies and includes comparisons of specific products and analysis of the latest research in that area.||Voicemail to text, medical transcription, call center analytics|
|Seminars and Workshops||Designed to provide both a broad view of the speech recognition or natural language processing technologies in your industry and an in depth view of the particular aspects that directly impact your business.||Medical Transcription, Closed Captioning, Air Traffic Control Training, and Opinion Research|
|Patent Research||Finding prior art related to a particular patent, including development of claims charts. In Speech Recognition, the work takes advantage of SpeechMap, which is a collection of "hard to find" materials dating back to the 1980's and 1990's.||Dictation, interactive systems, core speech algorithms|
- Consultant helping companies make strategic decisions on technology choices in speech recognition and natural language processing for a variety of industries from Medical Informatics and Transcription to Call Center Analytics to Mobile Voice Application, including companies such as BBN Avoke, CallMiner, Ditech Networks, General Catalyst, NavCanada, RAMP Holdings, Speech Morphing, Transcend, UFA, Vlingo
- Adjunct Professor of Computer Science at Brandeis Univerisity in the Computational Linguistics Program
- Executive Director of the Speech Technology Consortium, which is dedicated to increasing innovation in the speech industry through support of the patent process, including the developement of a prior art library (under development at www.stcspeechmap.org)
- Vice PresidentArlington Education Foundationand co-founderArlington GIves
- 20 years in research and management at BBN Technologies, one of the most prominient speech and language research companies in the world
- Co-founder of EveryZing (currently called RAMP), a digital media merchandising platform, which spun out of BBN Technologies. EveryZing uses speech recognition and natural language processing technology developed over decades at BBN to create the metadata which drives EveryZing’s ezSEO and ezSearch products
- Team leader for transition of innovative products to the Call Center Market:
- Avoke Call Center Analytics suite of products and services aimed at the enterprise call center market
- BBN Call Director, which allows callers to speak naturally to an open prompt: “Please tell me, briefly, the reason for your call today”
- Leader of the Speech and Language Research and Development Department at BBN, directing more than 50 researchers in algorithm and system development of speech recognition, topic identification, telephone dialog systems, and information extraction from text and speech
- Technology architect behind EveryZing’s multimedia “ezSEO” solution, which uses advanced NLP technologies to define high value content topic pages automatically to drive user consumption
- Developed innovative approaches to statistical language modeling, part of speech tagging, and dialog develeopment
- Primary developer of the SPOKESMAN Generation System, which produced text for a variety of applications, such as DARPA's AirLand Battle Management Project